Cooking isn't that difficult... or is it?

I've always preferred baking over cooking. My first few dishes in the kitchen were all cakes, biscuits, tarts.. So I knew my way around baking. But over the past year, I've been helping (always have anyway) my mum cook our everyday dishes and it surprises me that it's easier than baking actually. As long as you know your base ingredients, what's your main ingredient, the additional spices that you need and a few magic words and fairy dust.. ok kidding... but really! It's easier to improve the taste of your dish as you're cooking it compared to baking. Like if it's too salty, add more water to dilute it or if it's too watery, add more corn flour to thicken it and if it's too spicy, add a dash of tomato sauce or sugar... You get what I mean.


My tip is always begin with the simplest dish. You don't have to cook rendang or tom yum or rib eye steak to begin your cooking journey. Start simple like cooking mixed vegetables! One thing I've noticed, whatever you eat, always take note of its flavours and main ingredients that you can see and feel in your mouth. So if you're cooking mixed veggies, you know there's onions, a bit of garlic, salt and a bit of pepper of course, cabbage, carrots.... then the rest is up to you. You can even throw in some prawns inside! Once you're a pro at this, you can start slowly by cooking more complex dishes. 


Safe to say that I do enjoy cooking now. It makes me feel creative.. I can throw in whatever I feel is right. Of course I still seek opinions from my mum and sisters when I'm cooking especially when my dish starts to get out of hand. To those who hates or think they're bad at cooking or a beginner cook, start by helping out in the kitchen! Whenever your mum/dad ask to look for the ingredients in the fridge, learn it's terms too! God knows how many types of leaves there are for cooking... so it's always good to ask what's what and sooner or later you'll recognize it by yourself! 


And if you fail the first time, don't worry! There's plenty of time to improve as long as you never give up. I nearly did because I failed to fry chicken a few times and they turned out wayyy too dark and taste burnt. But that didn't stop me from helping out in the kitchen and look where I am now! Remember that your dish doesn't need to look like it came out of a 6-star hotel restaurant all the time. It can be messy as long as it tastes good, that'll make you happy for sure. Try your luck today who knows! :)

Share:

0 COMMENTS